We’re Hiring – Managing Director
35 hours/week –Permanent Position
Gwaandak Theatre is seeking interested and experienced candidates for a Managing Director to lead the organization into its 21st season. This position is based in beautiful Whitehorse, Yukon, a small, vibrant northern city offering outstanding cultural and recreational opportunities.
This is a permanent position of 35 hours per week, with benefits after three months. Start date is flexible pending candidate availability and location, but ideally is early September 2020.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Director will lead the theatre’s administrative, financial, managerial and organizational development functions within the context of policies defined by the Board of Directors.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
The successful candidate will be an experienced and capable manager who is willing and able to work in a co-management leadership culture. In addition to being a passionate advocate for the performing arts, the ideal candidate will have:
- – Arts management qualifications or related training and experience
- – Significant experience in theatre, arts or not-for-profit sectors
- – Minimum of 2 years experience in financial management, including budgeting, year-end financial reporting and bookkeeping
- – Experience developing policy and leading HR initiatives (ie. strategic planning)
- – Fundraising experience from a variety of sources – government, corporate, individual
- – Proven organizational and time management skills with ability to multi-task, set priorities, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
- – A commitment to working within the guiding vision of Gwaandak Theatre, including a passion for transformative stories, perspectives and voices, artist-centred, Indigenous and Northern work, and for respect, health and balance in our art practice and our lives
- – Some awareness of the national theatre ecology, with a particular understanding of contemporary Indigenous, northern and diverse arts perspectives, and willingness to learn more
- – An interest not only in developing the capacity of this organization, but also in contributing to the growth of our broader sector in Whitehorse, Yukon and Canada
- – An ability to work with and contribute to a multi-faceted team
- – Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- – High degree of computer literacy: proficiency with Microsoft software (Word and Excel) and Windows computing; Google Suite; Quickbooks
- – Proven ability to work positively and constructively with staff, contractors, Board and volunteers
- – Flexibility and adaptability to assist with new projects, challenges and technologies as they arise
- – Good negotiator & critical thinker
- – Ability to take initiative and work in a self-directed manner
- – Valid driver’s license an asset but not mandatory
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume expressing your interest and qualifications by Monday August 17th, midnight PST, to firstname.lastname@example.org (with the subject “Managing Director”). For further information, click here or call/email Gwaandak Theatre at email@example.com.